Tuesday, December 19, 2006

time to glow...

oh my; I shouldn't post things I haven't tasted, but this sounds divine (though I'd go easy on the cardamom; it's strong stuff) and easy and exceedingly seasonal.

Plus I just like the name "glow wine." It reminds me of "glow-worm", but a little more sophisticated - did anyone else have a plastic glow-in-the-dark glow-worm, growing up? Mine was about the size of my hand, and was wearing a night cap. I used to sit in the coat closet, the darkest place in my house, and watch it glow.

Hot Mulled Wine (Glühwein, "glow wine")

Ingredients:

  • 1 bottle of dry red wine (750 ml)
  • one lemon
  • 2 sticks of cinnamon
  • 3 cloves
  • 3 tablespoons of sugar
  • some cardamom (or ginger)

Procedure:

Heat the red wine in a pot (don't boil). Cut the lemon into slices and add to the wine. Then add the cinnamon, cloves, sugar and a little cardamom (to taste). Heat everything for about 5 minutes - do not boil - and let stand for about an hour. Before serving, reheat and strain. Serve in prewarmed glasses or mugs.


Also, a word to the hoards of invisible readers reading the blog I haven't told anyone about: traffic on this blog may pick up, since I've just joined the blogging team at two heads of lettuce and hopping from one to the other is easy, via my blogger profile. Maybe this is a sign that I should actually tell people about this one too... in the meantime, if you're reading this, leave a comment and let me know you're out there. :c)

No comments: